Re: "Trash Can" or steel drum dish antennas

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 01:41:41PM -0500, Mike73@aol.com wrote:

> > > As an aside, anyone ever heard of a "cornucopia" antenna?  Some of the
> >  > old long-haul analog microwave sites run by the old AT&T still have some
> >  > up.  They are generally a cone pointing up with an "elbow" opening that
> >  > opens to the horizon.  Those have even better sidelobe/backlobe
> >  > performance.  I have some pictures in old textbooks; they appear to be
> >  > one of the original radio astronomy antennas.  And now they're all dark;
> >  > someone needs to pull one down and fire it up!!
>
> I believe you are refering to what I know as a "conical horn". Check:
>
> http://www.afcsat.com/SatelliteConicalHorn.html
>
> I don't think a G5550B will aim this guy! <grin>

No need, that looks like a rotator on the bottom (azimuth, at least).

I've also heard these referred to as 'sugar scoops'.  The terrestrial
point-to-point microwave sidelobe requirements are pretty strict in
order to avoid interfering with other links sharing the frequency, so
they are quite common.

Bob, N7XY