Re: Horizon LEO Link

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, OJ Lougheed wrote:

> Where I am, I not particularly interested in overhead LEO's... nothing
> under them except Siberia! Bob and others point out all one needs is a
> small beam with 10-15 degrees elevation. But has anyone done a "study" of
> which (if any) linear polarization (horz., vert., or 45) is the best
> compromize "on-the-horizon?"

In my opinion of the last 2 or 3 years of handheld beam operation where
you can instantly "feel" the polarization, that veritical is definately
the way to go.  Most of the time, vertical works well.  The few times
there is enough faraday rotation to make it perfectly horizontal is so
rare as to not be worth it.  For the same reason, going circular would be
wasting 3 dB all the time for the 5% of the time when it might be
beneficial.  Thus its normally worse than the vertical..

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob