Re: "Trash Can" or steel drum dish antennas

On Monday 03 December 2001 13:48, T5z4@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/3/01 4:04:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> RMckni8527@aol.com writes:
>
> <<  They do actually look like a trash can, or maybe more
>  closely resemble a tub used for icing down a beer keg.  >>
>
> I wonder if a steel drum like those in the islands could be fashioned to
> work well without the hammered out musically tuned zones on it's surface.

Well what I see described fits what we call a "hi-performance" dish shroud
for most of our 6GHz ( actually 5.6 to 5.8 ) paths ( ds3 radios running
telephone and public safety traffic ) , and ours are 2 and 3m dishes so I can
tell you  from experience that those shrouds ( trash can sides ) are pretty
large and heavy , but they work very well when you have local paths that are
not in the same line as your path , but are close enough nearby ( proximity )
to be a problem without the shroud and are required with some licenses .

With that said the only thing I can think that a shroud would do for us round
dish owners on S-band would be to reduce the terrestrial noise ( microwave
ovens etc ) , anyone know better on this please correct me , since I have
been thinking about building my own "hi-performance" shroud for my 60cm dish
to see how it would help my local noise .......

What do the "experts" have to say ?

--
Douglas Cole N7BFS
AMSAT#26182