Re: "Trash Can" or steel drum dish antennas

IIRC, the steel drums are hammered *into* the cylindrical part of the 55
gallon drum and only a narrow rim is left around the "drumhead" end.  To
get the shielding effects, you'd need to sink the end of the 55 gallon
drum outward rather than inward, and probably would need to have an
accurately cut parabolic template of the desired focal length to measure
the shape of the dish end as you hammer.

Mind you, this will make a *heavy* dish -- might give good results if
the reflector part is accurately shaped enough, but it will not be a
lightweight antenna.  If you bring it to Field Day, bring friends to
help carry it .. ;-)

On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 04:58 PM, David M. Tipton, PhD wrote:

> Why not just go to one of your local refinaries and buy a 55 Gallon
> Drum.
> Press it out yourself?

                   Bruce Bostwick N5VB