Re: AO-40 lite activity

I heard AO-40 for the first time this past Friday (Nov.30) between 2230Z and
0100Z. I was using a transystems 3733 with the attached dipole on a 24" dish
I found abandoned on the roof of the building I work in. This fed a homebrew
2M to 10M downconverter which was attached to an ancient Atlas 110 receiver.
I copied K9QFO, W0EUP,W2EB,WB9KMD,N6ORS,WA7KRP,VE3NPC,K6TSK,VE3EAF,N7EQF. I
heard SSB, CW, PSK31 and Hellscreiber all in this brief time. True, my
modest setup didn't provide S9 signals, but I was able to listen for an hour
and a half without touching the antenna, which was sitting on a railing
outside the door.

I don't think anything in my setup was exotic or expensive. It didn't
require allot of specialized equipment to assemble.  Given the current
conditions with AO-40, maybe we should be concentrating on using modes
better suited for the link budgets we have. It was allot easier copying CW,
PSK31 and Hellscreiber than it was copying SSB. I haven't made any C/N
measurements yet, but from what I was able to hear, I bet we could have
better QSO's using digital compressed voice at 9.6KB using FSK (or PSK) with
1/2 rate FEC.

I think I have to agree with a comment made earlier, if you don't enjoy the
hands on aspect of the hobby then maybe this isn't for you. I don't chase DX
or ragchew, but I believe those activities are just as valid as the ones I
do enjoy.

Think I gave more than 2cents worth there,,,,
Howie AB2S