Re: Combined Federal Campaign

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Malcolm M. Preston wrote about Qualifiing for CFC:

> "Certify that the organization is a human health and welfare organization
> providing services, benefits, or assistance to, or conducting activities
> affecting, human health and welfare."

HAMS are usually ready to provide "health and Welfare and emergency
traffic", and many AMSAT members fall into that category.  Especially now
that we have many satelites that can be operated with portable and
handheld equipment.  This includes AO-40 which provides hours of worldwide
coverage...

Its easy to build an AO-40 2-way voice satellite system that can be
carried in one suitcase.  Such a package would be vary valuable on trips
to wilderness or 3rd world countries, or South florida after a
hurricane...

Dont mean to sound like a broken record, but anyone who saw Howard G6LVB
working AO-40 in the parking lot with his umbrella antenna (including the
UHF uplink) would understand... (see link from my page below)

Bob

My portable dish:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/ao40ant.html

So, I think AMSAT has a credible CFC mission...