@Home and AO-40

Well, my Web Pages on @Home are back, so it looks like we @home folkes have
been given a repreve.  I'd still recommend doing full backups.  The utility
I used that worked, BTW, on @Home was ncftpget (recursive) on Linux.  Wget
got confused by the way @Home did their account structure.

On AO-40.  They way I look at the condition on AO-40 is this:  Unless you
live in San Diego, or North Texas, it is now the absolutely best way of
experimenting with microwaves.  With the exception of contests, there is
little activity here (or in most of the US/World) on microwave bands. With
AO-40 there is always the beacon, and usually QSOs.  The experimentation
I've (and others) have done on patch feeds (and helixes for that matter) is
the most educational fun I've in years in Ham Radio.

There are many facets to ham radio:  Emergency Comms, Operating, DXing,
Contesting, etc.  But to me.. my cup of tea is Experimenting.  I wouldn't be
here if I couldn't build my own equipment and experiment with it.  AO-40 is
AWESOME for that.  Guys, we are playing with nearly state-of-the-art stuff
here.  Isn't that cool enough for most of you?

I'm kinda sad about AO-40 going "away" until April, but now I don't have to
get my permanent antennas up until then...in the snow.. in December... in
Iowa...

Fred W0FMS