RE: Kenwood TH-F6A all mode HT

My biggest unknown observation on 70 cm was that with out the whip antenna
the radio sounded like a normal SSB receiver(light noise).  But attaching
the whip antenna gave an instantaneouse full FM noise from the SSB
receiver.  This made me think it was oscilating and the full noise power
of the oscillating was totally wiping out any sigs from FO20.

Then I heard that the 1st stage had NO AGC, so it could have just been too
much gain.  But why the 20 dB noise level difference with a matched
antenna (noise) and no antenna (quiet) unless the unloaded RF amp then
went deaf?

It was this unusual behavior that caused me pause...
bob

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob