Re: AO40 user population

For my other 2 cents and apartment dwellers arent going to like it..
but for those of us pack-rats, there are thousands of 6, 8 and 10' TVRO
dishes out there with full GEO arc tracking motors built in.

Yes, big, bulky, eye-sores...  But plop one of those in a post hole,
slap-dash any old 2400 MHz converter a few inches below the existing focal
point and you can sit back and listen to the passband noise floor anytime.
The extra 12 dB of antenna gain covers a lot of sins..

(Of course, Mine is still out back of the shed and still not "up", so I
say this as much to inspire me as anyone else...  Also, mine is missing
some MESH panels..  but so what.  Half of them can be gone and I still am
6 dB better than a 2' BBQ... and tracking is a piece of cake.  You only
move one motor till you hear the beacon.

I konw this is not practical for most.. but if you like to measure your
fun in Ham radio by "size" and how much you can "scrounge" and how
much you can adapt someone else's throw-away junk, this is sure
one way to maximize that equation...

Bob