Re: AO40 user population

> 2. Most hams live in areas where buildings and/or trees obstruct a
> large portion of the horizon.  A major problem when the only downlink
> is 2400 MHz.

Actually, this is not really a problem on AO-40 compared to other LEO
satellites.  Even if you can only see a small piece of sky generally south
and generally above 30 to 40 degrees, you can see AO-40 for hours at a
time. Combine this with 2 other factors:

1) The receive dish for AO-40 is no larger than an umbrella and can be
located on the ground, your deck, your porch or operated from window.

2) If you have a blockage, then move the tripod.

In my opinion, it does not make a lot of sense to permanently mount your
AO-40 receive dish on your roof or other out-of-reach access point, since
it can be so useful at so many other locations.  The path of AO-40 through
the sky is high and very accessbile, and the antenna is small and easy to
move about with one hand...

Im working on a mount for the roof of my car so I can use it just about
anywhere.  Here is my dish which is more than adequate:

 http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/ao40ant.html

Dont want to start a long debate, but operating a slow moving satellite
like AO-40 is really much much different from all other LEO satelites and
so it is worth taking a second look at one's approach...  And besides, its
SKY track is always the same from your location...

de WB4APR, Bob