Re: AO40 user population

Hi all..

Be said all the pointed out about the reason's for low amount off operators
in AO-40.

Remember that all the rest off the world equipment cost about 50% more than
prices in USA
The down converter that cost 50 bucks for NA will cost around 75/80 you must
remember that
The cost for shipping abroad is higher and the cost to make the money wire
also adds......

Also is a big problem with the City noise and hi voltage transmission line,
I have a friend LU9FDG
that cannot operate from his home with a DTV dish 60x65 ctms, with the same
setup hi works fine
from a week end house.

My self have the same set up, but also have a transformer station at one
block and is not comfortable
due hi noise level, I put a 1,6 Mts. dish that overcomes the problem, but
has the movement inconvenient.

With this type off setup is a great problem to operate from apartments etc,
also I think that many operators
did not got the equipment to be able to operate AO-40 due a lack off
confidence on how long will this S/C
will be working and after this what to do with the 2,4g equipment.

Sorry for my English I can make it better in Spanish.
Al LU2FGN

www.sateliteros.com.ar

At 09:48 p.m. 01/12/01 -0600, you wrote:
>The ARRL reported:
>
>Command station team member Stacey Mills, W4SM, says, however, that he's
puzzled and disappointed by the relatively low numbers of users on AO-40
during the last month or so.

>Wayne replies:
>
>Here are a few of my thoughts on this matter.
>
>1. There would be far more users if AO40 had a working 144 MHz downlink
because there are far more hams in the world with 144 MHz equipment than
with 2400 MHz equipment.

>2. Most hams live in areas where buildings and/or trees obstruct a large
portion of the horizon.  A major problem when the only downlink is 2400 MHz.

>3. 2400 Mhz equipment is extremely difficult to obtain in many parts of the
world.

>4. The above factors lead to a "negative momentum" that is
self-reinforcing.  People get on AO40 less often because there isn't much
activity.

>5. The overall success rate of AO40 systems makes a LOT of hams reluctant
to spend ANY money on equipment that can ONLY be used with AO40.

>Obviously we didn't plan for this outcome, but that's the way it is.  My
opinion doesn't count for much, but I think that adding 144 MHz capability
to the next satellite would greatly increase its appeal to the general ham
population.  And in my opinion, "mass appeal" should be one objective of the
next satellite.