From: "Douglas Braun NA1DB" <doug@dougbraun.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Where Does Doppler Occur?

> Before bringing out out too much Special Relativity to describe
> this issue, remember that the Doppler Effect also happens with
> sound waves, to which relativity does not apply.  Also, unlike
> electromagnetic radiation, sound has an absolute frame of
> reference: the air through which it travels.
>
> Doug
> NA1DB
>
> At 04:21 PM 12/1/01 , you wrote:
>
> >My question is meaningless, too, without a reference frame. In the
reference frame of the satellite (neglecting its orbital acceleration) the
frequency is exactly the frequency it was transmitted with. In the reference
frame of, say, the Sun, it's something else. And of course in the reference
frame of the ground station it's some other value. Which of these is the
"real" frequency? They are all equally real. This is starting to get
philosophical.

> >For most practical purposes, we can set aside all this confusing
relativism and just pick a convenient reference frame for all our
calculations. For this example, let's pick the reference frame in which the
mass center of the Earth is fixed. (We'll neglect gravitational
accelerations due to the Sun, Moon, and other celestial bodies.) That's a
convenient reference frame for computation of the main effects on a
satellite -- satellite tracking programs use it.