RE: AO40 user population

I think we are looking to a future where there's
noise and interference on whichever band we choose
for a downlink (except maybe 24 GHz).
Its a fact of life we'll have to live with and can
overcome by having higher power downlinks and
direction antennas at the groundstations or by
alternative modulation techniques.

The number of wireless networks using 2.4 GHz is growing
rapidly and the band is seen as ideal for home consumer
video and data equipment. In a years time in the UK and Europe
we'll have 3G phones networks operating across 2.0-2.2 GHz,
the image frequency of all 2.4 GHz to 144 MHz down-convertors.

144 MHz is my favoured band for a downlink simply
because people can receive these signals on very simple
equipment and so can easily hear what they are missing.

Its difficult to persuade people to invest
hundreds of dollars in equipment just to hear
a satellite. But if they can hear it cheaply and easily
and they like what they hear they are more likely to put
a lot of effort and money into getting the transmit gear.

Reception of the downlinks should be kept cheap
the uplinks should be the expensive side.

Trevor M5AKA