It Works! Thanks!!

Having just finished putting together my satellite dish antenna, aiming it
heavenward, and actually hearing AO40 booming in, I want to thank toe
following people:

Mark, N0NSV - Donating an old PrimeStar dish and arranging to have it
shipped to Alaska
Don, W4VQA - Helping scrounge some support arms for the dish
Gunther, W8GSM - Encouragement and suggestions on design of the feed and
support structure
Ed, AL7EB - Encouragement and technical advice
Mike, WL7BQM - Loan of a temporary antenna, and encouragement over a cup of
coffee
James, G3RUH - For producing a great patch feed

And many others on this reflector!!

In true Alaskan ham fashion, I didn't get everything I needed to put up the
antenna until the temperature reached a satisfactory 5 degrees (fahrenheit)
above zero, the wind was blowing about 20 mph,  and there was snow on the
ground.  Only then, after putting it together in my garage,  I took it
outside, climbed up the tower, and installed it.  After a few trips up and
down the tower for minor adjustments, I headed to the shack and fired up
the rigs.  Wow!!  It worked!!!

Not only did it work, but the beacon signal was LOUD!!  Peaks were running
S9.  Not bad for the squint angle and slant range from Alaska.  I fired up
the transmitter and found my signal on the bird, then called CQ.....there
lies the sad part....despite having a significantly loud signal to unleash
Leila, no one answered my CQ.....in fact, I could hear no other QSOs on the
band except for one between two JA stations who went QRT before I could
give them a call.

Nonetheless, I'm amazed what some scrounging and "elmering" can do....I'm
looking forward to picking up some new ones on satellite.....and hope that
before the sun angle takes AO40 away in a few weeks, that I can enjoy the
efforts and advice of so many people who have helped me get on the air.

Thanks to everyone involved!  I know I've omitted two names who also helped
me track down some support arms for the dish...I regret that I've lost
their e-mail addresses or I would have proudly mentioned their names and
calls as well......my apologies for the omission.

73 and see you on the bird!
Joe
WL7M
Fritz Creek, Alaska