Re: AO40 user population

Hi Wayne,

Very well said.

I am one of those hams who decided to begin satellite operations after
reading about AO-40. I made several inquiries and did all my research to be
sure I bought the best equipment I could to work AO-40. I invested several
thousand dollars in the equipment, but never anticipated there might be
problems with the satellite. I set up a beautiful 9600/38400 station for
VHF/UHF operation. I went into this knowing that I would be able to work
just a few other digital satellites at 9k6/38k4 and needless to say was very
disappointed to learn I would be unable to work AO-40 with my existing
equipment. I am reluctant to purchase anymore equipment (as you mention)
just to enable use of AO-40. I can now only hope that my hardware will be
fully useable on the next satellite. As you mention in your closing below, I
also hope that 144mhz capability will be included, as I am one of those
'mass appeal' guys who would benefit from it. I am not crying the blues
here, and will also support future plans. It's just my situation at present,
that with what I have already invested, it will be difficult to purchase
anymore additional equipment. Last January when I took the 'big step' I
thought I was building a station that would carry me into the future of
digital satellites. Hopefully this may still prove true.

Paul Delaney
kb2shu.ampr.org [44.16.2.46]
paul.hamradio@verizon.net
http://gw.linux.kb2shu.ampr.org