Re: AO40 user population

Wayne,

     Thanks for saying this so well!  Look at what crops up on AO-10
whenever it decides to work.

     I think our (AO-40's) higher orbit has dampened the easy mode S efforts
as well.  In the July/August 1993, AMSAT Journal G3RUH published an article
about how a 16 turn helix worked out okay for SSB at apogee on AO-13.  Is
this not better performance than we are seeing on AO-40?  I am not trying to
be mean towards anyone, but I am trying to point out that mode S may not be
as easy as we like to claim.

     We have learned many lessons from AO-40 (and I'm sure we will learn
more).  We had some bad luck, but still wound up with a bird that is fun to
work.  I know I've enjoyed my contacts.  Maybe one of those lessons is if we
want to attract users we need mode B.  We have great coverage, just a
shortage of users.  I believe the original 'get them hooked' (start people
on mode B and they will migrate to mode S) idea of AO-40 was very sound.  I
also believe the mode B hook should be kept in place for future satellites
as well.

    In hind sight I also believe setting the beacon  to be 10dB above maxium
desired passband signal was a mistake.  This lead many to believe they heard
the bird well enough, only to frustrate them when they attempted to make
contacts.

Just My Two Cents,
73,
Joe