Re: AMSAT & Combined Federal Campaign

on 11/29/01 4:14 PM, John Hansen at hansen@fredonia.edu wrote:

>> Rather than SELL things, we have decided to SUGGEST levels of DONATION
>> associated with obtaining various items.  Using this process, money
>> received by AMSAT is a free will donation and is, therefor, not subject to
>> sales tax.  You may contribute what we suggest or as much as you want and
>> it's USA tax deductible, if you deduct contributions.
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but I can't believe that this subterfuge would ever pass
> muster in a court.  If you receive something of value at the same time you
> make a donation, the only portion of the donation that will be deductible
> is the part in excess of the actual market value of what you received.  Any
> attorney's here care to comment?

Ah but there's a key here (actually a couple):

1.) Sometimes AMSAT sells items that were donated to them as a "fundraiser"
2.) The concept of "donation" does hold firm because the item received is
considered a "premium" in exchange for donating.  The price is not at all
fixed (legally IMHO, if you offer Amsat a $40 donation for a $60 antenna,
they must take it - but you'll be considered a scab by most people for doing
so).  It is very similar to the concept of PBS offering items in return for
donating something.  I am sure that many Amsat members give more than would
be required to purchase something outright.

I think it passes muster.

73,

Jon
NA9D