Re: AMSAT & Combined Federal Campaign

At 12:34 PM 11/29/01 -0500, Arthur H Feller wrote:

>Rather than SELL things, we have decided to SUGGEST levels of DONATION
>associated with obtaining various items.  Using this process, money
>received by AMSAT is a free will donation and is, therefor, not subject to
>sales tax.  You may contribute what we suggest or as much as you want and
>it's USA tax deductible, if you deduct contributions.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can't believe that this subterfuge would ever pass
muster in a court.  If you receive something of value at the same time you
make a donation, the only portion of the donation that will be deductible
is the part in excess of the actual market value of what you received.  Any
attorney's here care to comment?