microsats & cubesats

I keep seeing all these people building microsats and cubesats for school
engineering projects and I wonder to myself...would it be practical for an
individual or small group of non-education affiliated (just basically a
group of really bored ham geeks) to build their own microsat for
launch.

And what are people doing for launches?  Are they riding piggyback on
other launches or is there some company basically giving away rides into
orbit?

I just think it would be pretty cool to have someone listen to a downlink
and think "Hey, that me & my two buds put up".  Pipe dream? Maybe...just a
thought.