Re: appeal for amsat mail alias service

on 11/28/01 4:16 PM, RMckni8527@aol.com at RMckni8527@aol.com wrote:

> I NEVER include my email address in the body of the message to prevent "bots"
> from farming it.  And I don't subscribe at the aliases you suggest because
> it's too easy to formulate a valid address if I provide a callsign, which I
> believe I should give.

It doesn't matter whether you supply your e-mail address in the body of an
e-mail or not.  The reason?  All of that information is in the e-mail
header.

Most mail programs don't show this unless you ask for it specifically.  Yet,
they are there.

There is a specific standard and format for sending SMTP mail.  For one, it
is entirely text.  There are certain commands sent to the servers, etc. and
these are all embedded in the headers or in the mail software you are using.
In the header of the e-mail is YOUR e-mail address and the address of the
person you are sending too.  It has to be this way.  In fact, if you know
how to look at it, the header shows the entire path your message took to get
to you.

So whether you leave your e-mail address out of the body of the e-mail makes
no difference to any bots.  They are generally looking at the e-mail
headers.

The best way to avoid spam is to use an ISP who has aggressive spam filters.
I have e-mail accounts from several different ISPs.  Some are most
definitely better than others.

73,

Jon
NA9D