Re: AMSAT & Combined Federal Campaign

At 03:42 PM 28-11-01 -0600, Timothy J. Salo wrote:
> > Filing for non-profit status would be the first step.
>
>More precisely, this is a two-step process:
>
>1.      Incorporate as a not-for-profit corporation (which appears to
>         have been done), and
>2.      Apply for Federal tax-exempt status under IRS code 501(c)(3).

These things were done in 1969.  See the AMSAT web site.

>A more interesting question is why AMSAT-NA provides merchandise for
>donations, rather than selling them.  Most other not-for-profit,
>tax-exempt organizations have figured out how to sell stuff without
>unduly worrying about state sales taxes...

State tax laws vary widely.  So far as we have determined with the help of
our accountants and auditors, our lives as volunteers (and record keepers)
are much easier accepting free will donations than having to contend with
nearly 50 different taxing jurisdictions.  Just being practical.

If you have other specific information which might be helpful, please let
me know and I'll follow up.

Thanks!

73, art.....
Treasurer