Re: AMSAT & Combined Federal Campaign

on 11/28/01 3:42 PM, Timothy J. Salo at salo@saloits.com wrote:

> A more interesting question is why AMSAT-NA provides merchandise for
> donations, rather than selling them.  Most other not-for-profit,
> tax-exempt organizations have figured out how to sell stuff without
> unduly worrying about state sales taxes...

If Amsat were to "sell" an Arrow antenna or Nova, etc., they would be making
money at it.  Therefore, they'd no longer be "non-profit."  The idea of the
item being a donation means that a person could give any amount of money in
exchange for the item.  Yes, it could be taken advantage of (like someone
"giving" a dollar for an Arrow), but that's the risk one takes as
non-profit.

Now, from what I understand, non-profits can actually make a profit (there
are stipulations though on what is done with those profits).  That's why you
probably see some non-profits "selling" things.  Perhaps AMSAT does not
distribute its profits correctly in order to "sell" and still be considered
non-profit.

And then again, just because a non-profit organization "sells" something
does not mean they are using the proper terminology or even being legally
correct.

I have no problem with whatever term they use.

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden