Re: Calculating Astronomical Sunset

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, DOUGLAS KUITULA wrote:

> Hi all,
> While trying to get a look at Starshine, I was trying to determine how
> long the bird would be in sunlight while my QTH was in the dark. In the
> past I've usually figured on a couple of hours for most LEO satellites.
> But it got me wondering if there is a formula to determine, more
> accurately, how long a satellite will be in sunlight after sunset on the
> ground.

I just sketched some triangles on a piece of paper and I come up with 1.4
hours for a 300 Mile orbit and 1.8 hours for a 500 mile orbit.  At those
times, that is when a satellite will be 50% visible (meaning it will be in
sun until it gets directly overhead and then it will be in the dark for
the east half of the pass (at night) opposite in the morning.

de WB4APR, Bob