Re: AMSAT & Combined Federal Campaign

AMSAT is eligible to apply for CFC funding.  What would AMSAT gain?  Access
to over 10 million US Federal Government and US Military employees.  Once a
year, the CFC campaign solicits donations from these employees by giving
seminars, demonstrations and short presentations at their place of work.  NO
OTHER organizations are permitted to enter a Federal workplace or military
installation to solicit - ONLY CFC members, and only once a year (around
Oct).

The CFC campaign has local coordinators which are volunteers, that handle
setting up the presentations.  USUALLY this consists of a 45-60 minute
presentation which includes a 10-12 minute film on CFC member organizations
and how CFC works.  They also publish a book that is handed out to all
employees with all approved organizations and a brief description of the
organizations purpose, plus lists some details like how much money is spent
on administration and fundraising.  (some people hate giving to wasteful
organizations!)

An employee can contribute cash or use an allotment directly from their pay
account.  They can give anywhere from $1 up, and donations can be allocated
to several different organizations, each with a specific donation amount.

The cool part is when someone choices to NOT specify any organization.  That
money is then divided up among CFC member organizations.  I don't have the
details on how much, but obviously the largest ones like the Red Cross and
United Way get larger portions.  This pretty much guarantees that AMSAT will
get at least a small slice of the pie even if no one selects them
specifically (yeah, like THAT could happen!)  You can also elect to keep your
donations with your local geographic area.

HOW DOES AMSAT APPLY?
It's pretty easy.  There's a 5-page application at the following web site
http://www.opm.gov/cfc/html/2001appl.htm.  It's mostly checking off boxes
that certify you meet the criteria.  For instance, to qualify as a "National"
organization you must provide services in at least 15 states or a foreign
country - looks like AMSAT qualifies!  Organizations must provide health and
welfare services - since AMSAT is an educational charter I think this covers
it, as well as our emergency communications services.

We will need to include a copy of the Charter and IRS non-profit
certification (form 990?), plus the executive officers will have to sign the
form.

DEADLINE to apply for the 2002 season is JAN 31st.

I'm sure a few folks might want to read the CFC regulations to make sure this
we dot all the T's and cross all our I's.  The CFC regs are at:
http://www.opm.gov/cfc/html/regs.htm

Just as a personal note.  Several years ago CFC got a bad rap due to some
hanky panky in the United Way (some weasel was scamming money and getting
paid a huge salary as one of their CEO's).  So a lot of folks started taking
a very close look at the percentages of money various organizations spend on
admin, how much they pay their officers and PR staff, etc.  It is generally
considered a good thing to show that your organization spends less than 25%
overhead on non-service activities.  AMSAT would need to have this info
available and be willing to disclose it.  This info is included in the
booklet that is handed out every year and is a big deal to some people.

I think this can be a very good thing and has the potential to raise
substantial funds.  Maybe even consider including some AMSAT demonstrations
at various places like other organizations do - certainly would be a lot more
interesting than the same old United Way stuff!  We should be ready with some
literature, maybe even see if we could get a few seconds of video in the
yearly CFC movie.

73's
Ray - WB3ABN
Kingston

P.S. I know some sharp cookie will look me up and discover that I haven't yet
joined AMSAT.  True!  I just signed on to this -bb a few months ago and am
deciding what I want to accomplish in the way of satellites. But I just
retired from my first career and am currently unemployed, so spending money
for anything other than bills and food is currently on hold.  I hope to start
a new career very soon and my check will be in the mail.