Re: AMSAT & Combined Federal Campaign

> From: RMckni8527@aol.com
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:37:04 EST
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] AMSAT & Combined Federal Campaign
> 	[...]
> I've just received a message saying AMSAT is not a non-profit organization.
> I always thought it was (assumed, or had heard it somewhere, who knows?).

This doesn't sound right...

Quoting from the AMSAT Articles of Incorporation
(http://www.amsat.org/amsat/amsat-na/articles.html):

	"Said corporation is organized exclusively for scientific purposes,
	including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to
	organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section
	501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 ..."

So, assuming the veracity of www.amsat.org, AMSAT-NA is a not-for-profit
organization (incorporated under the District of Columbia Non-profit
Corporation Act).

> Filing for non-profit status would be the first step.

More precisely, this is a two-step process:

1.	Incorporate as a not-for-profit corporation (which appears to
	have been done), and
2.	Apply for Federal tax-exempt status under IRS code 501(c)(3).

www.amsat.org claims that AMSAT-NA _is_ a tax-exempt, not-for-profit
organization.  From http://www.amsat.org/amsat/amsat-na/orginfo.html:

	"AMSAT-NA is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation."

> Maybe someone on the
> -bb can shed some insight as to AMSAT's status and if not already non-profit,
> why not, or why it can't be pursued.

A more interesting question is why AMSAT-NA provides merchandise for
donations, rather than selling them.  Most other not-for-profit,
tax-exempt organizations have figured out how to sell stuff without
unduly worrying about state sales taxes...

-tjs