Re: AO-10

Hardy,
I did not listen this morning but I worked (or tried to work) AO-10 almost every day last week as it came from my west, went thru perigee, and the continued east.  I found I could not even detect the beacon until it was inside of 20,000 km and mostly south of me.  When it was west of me I could not hear a thing.  Once it got more south than west, I would start to detect the beacon, but with QSB.  The transponder would then start to work, but with severe QSB.  As the satellite progressed from south to east and approached it's perigee, the signals improved dramatically and the QSB lessened significantly.  Two weeks ago, I had no problem working it at 30,000+ km, and worked many European stations who had strong signals, but also now realize it was always to my east then.

As I recall, the cycles on AO-10 repeat about every 6 weeks, so maybe it will return to the great conditions of the recent past for the upcoming Christmas and New Years holidays :-)
73,
Jerry, K5OE