Re: stranded in birdies....

>    I have a new problem to contend with now at the sat station...
>    For the last 3 years, I have had the quietest operating spot
>    you could want in the 2M and 440cm bands...  Until recently.
>    As of a few weeks ago, I now receive clusters of hetrodynes
>    throughout the entire 2M band.  They are S9+ at all times day
>    and night.  I thought at first it was me, so I went through the
>    house and eventually turned off every circuit breaker in the house
>    and ran the radio on a car battery.  Still there.  It does not
>    appear to be the receiver, I have 3 that all exhibit the problem.
>    Also, my Kenwood R2000 (which is hooked to the Downconverter for
> AO40)
>    is also hearing the birdies, even with the converter off!!  The
>    source is not strong enough for a freq counter to pickup and I cannot
>    seem to find access to a Spectrum analyzer.  Anyone have any
> suggestions
>    on how to track this down?  Please help, I am Oscar-less!!  8=-)

Possibly a badly behaved Part 15 device one of your neighbors just
installed?

If you can plot the approximate centers of the clusters, their spacing
might give you a clue as to the fundamental "carrier" frequency of the
device, and that might hint at what sort of device it might be if it
lands in, say, a widely used cordless phone band or a common frequency
for switching power supplies.  Think really bad harmonics combined with
really bad splatter.

Finding it may be a real pain, since it is probably a fairly weak signal
really close by.  If you can hear squelch breaks on an FM HT, that might
help you climb the gradient and get to where you can crank in some
attenuation .. and if you find yourself zeroing in on a particular
house, maybe you can knock on the door and say "Excuse me .."  ;-)