Re: Ethernet does not work

> This doesn't rule out a bad cross-over cable.  I think the "link
> active" (or whatever) light should be lit on both adapters.

That doesn't always rule out a bad cable either .. I've seen cables that
light up as link active on both ends that won't pass any data at all, or
worse yet, will pass data only intermittently, a packet here, a packet
there .. one thing that does seem to narrow those down, though, is to
swap ends of the cable ..

> It seems pretty easy to build a cable that doesn't work, particularly
> with less-expensive crimpers.

Won't argue with that.

> If the destination host is not on the local subnet, then send it
> to the local router (which really ought to be on the local subnet...)
>
> In the above configuration, Computer A and Computer B are configured
> to be on the same subnet, and so they should communicate directly.
> You can simply leave the router address blank (since the
> source host will transmit on the local subnet, and never need to
> send the packet to the router).

You may be right, since the LAN I applied my previous advice to didn't
have any subnet masks configured.  It might be that the TCP stack was
happy to have the subnet mask set and didn't need the router addresses
configured as well.  It didn't seem to hurt though.  Then again, the
computers in question were iMacs, and some of this may be subtly
different on a PC network ..

Heard from a flight instructor:
"The only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask, resulting in my
going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of
torn and twisted metal."