From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Bruce Bostwick
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 22:19
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Ethernet does not work

> I want to connect my notebook B (OS is XP) with my computer A (OS is
> Win2k
> or Win NT 4) via a Ethernet LAN and cross-over cable.
>
> The adapters seem to work. The icons appear on the screen. The LANs are
> activated on both. Computer A tells me, it has sent 644 packages, but
> recieved none. B: none / none. They belong to the same workgroup:
> "ARBEITSGRUPPE". I can ping from A to A and from B to B. But not from A
> to B
> or B to A. They have different IP's 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 .

Possibly redundant, but if you are connecting these computers via local
IP only and do not have a router on the LAN, you want each computer to
have the other's IP address as its own router address.  zum Beispiel:

Computer A:
IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 192.168.0.2

Computer B:
IP address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 192.168.0.1

Normally, the router will have the xx.xx.xx.1 address, and all other
devices on the network will have addresses between xx.xx.xx.2 and
xx.xx.xx.254 (xx.xx.xx.255 is reserved for broadcast), but since there
is no router on this network, each computer has to know that it is
"routing" through the other computer directly.  This may also explain
why A is transmitting when you ping and B is not, since the .1 address
may cause A to assume it is a router for some purposes.  You might get
more consistent performance by assigning 192.168.0.2 to A and
192.168.0.3 to B, and changing the router addresses accordingly ..

Heard from a flight instructor:
"The only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask, resulting in my
going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of
torn and twisted metal."