Ethernet does not work

I want to connect my notebook B (OS is XP) with my computer A (OS is Win2k
or Win NT 4) via a Ethernet LAN and cross-over cable.

The adapters seem to work. The icons appear on the screen. The LANs are
activated on both. Computer A tells me, it has sent 644 packages, but
recieved none. B: none / none. They belong to the same workgroup:
"ARBEITSGRUPPE". I can ping from A to A and from B to B. But not from A to B
or B to A. They have different IP's 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 .
I have controlled the cable: it is in order.
Ipconfig tells me the configuration on the computer I am sending from.
net view \\A works from A, net view \\B not. And vice versa.
What is wrong???
Thanks in advance.
73 de Albrecht df9lc