Re: Ethernet

  Try hard-coding the address (and name) into
%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts (and hosts)
on the Win2k machine.  (And possibly also try the
xp machine.  (BTW, you didn't say which version
of xp (home or professional) you're using.)

  Then do an 'nbtstat -R' on both machines,
and see what happens.

  -al