Re: [aprssig] PCsat Operating

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, someone wrote:

> How bout we just wait till you give the go ahead?
> Since its impossible to decode the thing when its weak, theres no way until
> its in decodable range to tell what callsign its spitting out at the
> moment. So, IF its the right one, you loose most of the pass. (at least for
> me to get setup and tx)

I'll answer and copy the group.
No, you can operate VIA APRSAT all the time in acordance with the usual
settings for periodicity and precedence.  If PCsat is in user-service mode
(PCSAT-1), then it will work VIA APRSAT.  If it is in safe mode (W3ADO-1),
then it wont work.  You do not need to make any determination yourself.

> All I can do is listen, it appears anyway, so its not a biggie for me. 25
> watts and 11 elements have failed to get into it for me since launch, no
> matter if its on the horizon or overhead. I'm going to try one last time
> once its got its wittle batteries recharged (wheres the energizer bunny
> when you need him?) with a 3 element beam pointed directly up, and 140
> watts on an overhead pass.....

Can you work ISS?
More power is probably not the answer for you then.  SOpmething else is
wrong, since most of us have worked PCsat on a 5W HT with only a 19" whip
antnena.  Check your tones.  PCsat requires balanced tones at the
modulator...

Your system may work terrestrially with your local BBS or digi, but
PCsatneeds well balanced tones.   Also, are you trying on 145.830?  That
has now been determined to be the center frequency.

 de WB4APR@amsat.org,
Bob