Re: L on AO40

>From: "Walter Crauwels" <walter.crauwels@skynet.be>
>Hi
>Wrong you should stay around 10db BELOW the beacon !!!
>Check on the operator pratice documents for AO-40
>Leila and the AGC circuit will love to see signals 10db below the beacon
>
>73

Hi James, Clare, Walter, John. etal:

Well in a perfect world Walter would be correct.  That assumes everyone is
using a 2.4G recieving system that can hear 20 dB below the beacon, but as
we know not all do.  So for them to hear you, the uplink power must exceed
the recommendation and venture higher toward the beacon level.  I have been
off the satellite for over a month but my experience on mode-LS was that
competition with loud mode-US stations made it difficult to get a decent
downlink signal.

I have about 9.5w at my 45-ele loop yagi [20 dBiv] on 1269.  Using that I
get just 6 dB over the noise floor.  It is workable but not strong.  I
think at least 3 dB more uplink is needed for comfortable but not strong
QSO's.  That seems the limit before costs skyrocket.  I will modify my
mode-L system which outputs 15w to put 14w at the antenna and hope it is
enough.

Those that are using a FT-736R [10w] might consider a 20w amp such as
Downeast Microwave makes or dl2am (that Tom Haddon, KV5VH markets in the
USA).  That can be mounted at the antenna terminal for max effect.  If you
can afford 40w that will cover most conditions, I believe...my 2 cents!

Happy Thanksgiving from Alaska!

Ed
mode-L:  FT-847-->DEM 144/1268 Tx-conv (15w) -->45Loop yagi