Re: extra pre-amp (response)

Don,
I use two  UEK-3000 D/Cs. 2G>70cm & 2G>2m. In all cases the gain of the UEK
is so great that I actually attenuate the output so as to not overpower the
2m or 70cm receiver, thereby dropping the noise floor down to about 0-S
units. I would say that unless you have a very very long IF co-ax, the last
thing that would help you would be a preamp.. With no attenuation on my
IC910H I get a noise floor of S-6 to S7 without the attenuation. The
UEK-3000 is a bout as good as it gets. If you have a poor S/N ratio with one
of these, you probably need more antenna. I used a 60cm Lin dish and moved
up to 1.2m to get the amount of quieting I wanted. Also, be sure you use a
circular pol. feed on your 60cm dish. That is +3db compared to a linear
feed.
Good luck  and see you on AO-40.
73
Gunther Meisse