Re: What's left for HAM radio?

Hello Bob.

Wow this brings back old memories.

My scoutmaster encourage all of us (we all lived within about 10 miles of
each other) to do what you are doing on 11 meters.  Remember the CB craze of
the 70's?

Skip was (and is) pretty cool.  He encouraged all of us to do exactly what
you are doing and we had the 11 meter net on channel 23 every Friday right
before we met on Saturday.  We had the QSL cards all the works.

Of course one thing lead to another.  First off I couldnt hear everyone in
my room even with the 11 meter whip on the RSHACK 5 watt walkie talkie fully
extended.  So the next thing was to learn how to put up an outside antenna.
Didnt have the money for the Shack antenna so I built one.  WOW I was (with
Skip) the NCS because I could "hear" everyone.

Next I needed a power supply to replace the AA batteries.  Some "skip" came
in and that got me interested in the ionosphere which lead to ham radio.  At
our last "reunion" about 3/4 of the troop are hams and all active.  We
helped Skipper put up his new TH7DX.

Your on exactly the right path.  BRAVO ZULU.

Well I still have the Rshack 5 watt walkie talkie.  KEY 1972 was my CB call.

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX