Re: Name of Device / Tool

>When I had some screws that were seized up several people mentioned a tool
>to me that you strike with a hammer to break them loose (interestingly, a
>couple people told me not to use one).  I need the name of this tool.  I got
>blank stares at the hardware and automotive stores.
>
>Thanks and 73,
>Joe
>ka0yos@amsat.org

I think it's called an 'impact wrench' -- not to be confused with the
air powered tool of similar name.  It's a good tool for delivering a
really high torque impulse to crack a frozen bolt or nut loose, but
you have to keep two important things in mind: 1) the fit of the
socket has to be very close, and the bolt or nut has to have
relatively clean flats on it, and 2) the socket has to be an impact
type -- the thin chrome plated ones will just shatter.  The right
sockets are dull black and have very thick walls -- the ones that go
with an air impact wrench will work.  I don't recommend using an
extender.

If the bolt is too chewed up or rounded off to fit snugly in the
socket of its exact size (no cheating with inch/metric sockets!),
you're probably better off using a pair of pipe wrenches on the bolt
head and nut -- they grip more tightly the harder you pull and do
*not* slip.  This will probably ruin the bolt and nut, but you
weren't planning on re-using old fasteners, right?  ;-)

take care and watch your knuckles ..

--
<BGB>