RE: Ao40 , negative 13cm RX attempt.

(...)
>   Some have heard the beacon
> using just a large helix (23-35 turns), but for adequate
> performance to
> work stations which are to stay 10 dB weaker than the beacon,
> you need a dish.

Yesterday evening, I contacted one VE6, two W and three F stations in a 30
minutes time slot with my 21 turns helix and a 36 dB gain / 0.9 dB NF
converter (measured values).
With such a reception chain, using WPSKDEC decoding software gave me 80% of
correct TLM CRCs when the sat was at its apogee.
So, IMHO, a dish is useful but not mandatory :o)

Cheers

Jean-Louis F6AGR