Re: Ao40 , negative 13cm RX attempt.

William,

The signal for AO-40 would not be classed as strong.  You need a min. of 22
dBi antenna gain and a system noise figure under 1.5 dB.  Better is having
at least 24 dBi gain and 0.7 to 1.0 dBNF.  So this implies a dish of at
least 60 cm and better to have 85 cm or 1m.  Some have heard the beacon
using just a large helix (23-35 turns), but for adequate performance to
work stations which are to stay 10 dB weaker than the beacon, you need a dish.

The Norsat convertor probably has too high a NF (I am not personally
knowledgeable about it).  I have been preaching for a year that you need to
use a low noise preamp for AO-40.  The only converter that seems to be
adequate by itself is the UEK3000.  It has 0.7 dBNF and over 30 dB gain.
The feeds you describe should work with a center-fed dish.  If the dish is
an offset feed, then better luck is obtained with a 4 to 5-turn helix feed
with reflector disc.

One of the problems people have starting out is they have no way to check
the frequency of their converter.  None of the commercial units are exactly
on frequency, so you need a signal source of know frequency to calibrated
the converter.  The rest frequency (zero Doppler) of the beacon is
2401.323.  Doppler can shift this up/down 25 KHz.

Do not be disheartened.  Nearly everybody has run into the same
difficulties hearing the satellite at first.  I hope my letter has helped.
I wrote a paper about what is needed to get on AO-40 for the 2001 Amsat-NA
Symposium and is available in the proceedings.

Good Luck,
Ed