RE: Questions about TS-2000

Frank,
Just a few comments to add to Howard's below...

"Howard Long" <howard@howardlong.com> writes:
<snip>
> I can't explain why people have such strong feelings about the TS-2000. True
> there's the annoying AO-27 birdie, but I think to myself 'how often did I
> work AO-27 anyway'.

You can work the high elevation passes if you have a high-gain antenna by tuning above the birdie at the beginning of the pass and below the birdie as the pass crosses TCA.

> > 1) Was there ever a work around for the transverter problem of not putting
> > out more then 5w when in this mode?
>
> Nope. I don't know why this can't be fixed as it's a firmware bug to my
> mind.

I agree.  It escpaes me why they did not fix this one in the 1st maintenance release of firmware (downloaded via the Internet and user-installed).

> > can I use the HF receiver only input to
> > feed my mode-s to 144 to 28 converter and get the transverter conversion
> of
> > freq outputted to the display?

Yes, these two functions are independant.  I do the former with a Hamtronics receive converter, but don't bother with the latter any more (I just look at the last three digits anyway--29.318).

> > 2) I plan on using the rig for 9600/1200 pacsat. With an external TNC
> > (dsp2232) and Uni-Trac, does any one run in auto mode with wisp. Does the
> > acc socket feed its audio out for 9600 from the discrimator. I guess the
> > point I am getting at is can you run both 9600 and 1200 pacsats with an
> > external TNC with out changing anything in the radios software set up?
>
> If your external TNC has two AF inputs and two AF outputs [1200 + 9600], or
> you have two external TNC's, one for 1200 and one for 9600, YES. You run the
> 1200 through the Mic and speaker connections, and the 9600 thru the ACC2
> with menu 50F set to 9600.
>
> Assuming you're using the COM port to do the Doppler correction, I'm not
> aware of any software which will also change menu 50F to auto-switch between
> 1200 and 9600 on the ACC2 port.

I use the A/B menu feature to control this single "baud" parameter and I have the display dimmer in the "B" mode (1200 baud) so I know which is selected.  You could change a lot of "stuff" (dozens of parameters, if you want), but I find the 1200/9600 A/B switch to be convenient when going from UO-22 to ISS.

> > 3) Is the built in TNC worth trying to use at all on the pacsats? Looks
> like
> > you can not operate the cat for radio tuning and the  built in tnc at the
> > same time,  the unit only has one serial interface.
>
> Although it'll run KISS, there's not enough buffer memory on any of the
> Kenwood TNC's to do a reliable PACSAT implementation. Of course, as on the
> D7 and D700 the single COM port works in only one mode at a time and you
> can't get it to work unattended Doppler and TNC KISS simultaneously
> [although a very clever program was developed to do this for UI frames on
> SUNSAT and UO-22]. But then that's another can of worms and another project
> of mine which went on the back burner a while ago.

When I talked to Kenwood about this problem, they were absolutely amazed that anyone would ever want two RS-232 ports in the same radio.  I repeat my oft-made statement, "they never tested this radio on any satellite operations, with any satellite operators, prior to finalizing the design and marketing it."  FWIW, I operate many of the pacsats, including UO-22 and KO-25, with the rig and internal TNC, but it is definitely more work than it needs to be, and as Howard points out, simultaneous Doppler control is impossible, thus making unattended operation practically impossible.

> > 4) is any one using this radio with uni_trac?Does it interface well, any
> > problems

I use one.  Works like a champ!  A TS-2000 with a DSP2232 and Uni-Trac is a first class setup and you will be very effective with it.

73,
Jerry, K5OE
ps:  don't even think of trying to build one of those 13-pin Kenwood connectors yourself :-)