Re: PCsat and My mailbox

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Mineo Wakita wrote:

> I connected to both "JE9PEL_MailBox <--> PCsat", and
> "JE9PEL <--> PCsat_MailBox".
>
> > cmd:C JE9PEL-1 VIA W3ADO-1
> > cmd:*** CONNECTED to JE9PEL-1 VIA W3ADO-1 [12-Nov-01  00:55:12z]
> > cmd:C MAIL-1
> > cmd:MAIL-1>JE9PEL [12-Nov-01  00:59:10z] <RR C P R0>

Thanks for this test and signal report, but I should take this opportunity
to remind others that connections "via" PCsat are not desired.  The PBBS
on PCsat is reserved for remote travelers in footprints far removed from
any existing ground stations so that these isolated travelers have a means
to communicate.

There is also the abilty to store and forward a few priority and/or
emergency messages from similar distant travlers holding nothing but a
TH-D7 APRS HT in their hand.  To assure a good quality of service to these
users we ask that such users file a travel plan in advance so that we can
equitably share and manage this limited resource.

Connected Packet (connections) are usually very inefficient via space
links and waste valuable spacecraft power.  This is especialy true over
populated areas where QRM multiplies the number of retries and thus the
waste of power.

PCsat is in a phase of maximum eclipse and minimum power budget.  In fact,
the power budget on PC sat assumes the packet transmitter is on only 4% of
the time.  Just one connection and all the acks and retries easily exceeds
this budget.  Keeping PCsat batteries charged during this time is taking
a lot of our time and effort.

de WB4APR, Bob