Fiberglass boom prep

I've had an unpainted 1.75 inch solid fiberglass boom up for about five years now.  It is completely bare, never been treated in any way.  It's survived four New England winter ice storms and numerous summer thunderstorms.  I have noticed that it's easier to get "splinters" from it now than when it was new.  My guess is that solid rod is many times stronger than it needs to be to handle a "standard" satellite antenna system.  I have an M^2 CP-30 and a Cushcraft 20 element up there.

Dave Reinhart
wa6ilt@amsat.org