AO-10 power experiment

Last night when AO-10 was being received strongly I tried a quick test.
I cut my uplink power to 3W (three Watts), whistled up and was surprised
to be able to hear my downlink, weak but it was there. The bird was
about 20,000Km range, 17 degree elevation and my beams pointing to the
horizon.

To think that last winter I was having difficulty using 70W and I had
elevation control then! Uplink is a single 19 element horizontal yagi
fed with Heliax Superflex (FSJ 4-50) and downlink a single 9 element
horizontal yagi fed with Westflex W103.

Admittedly AO-10 is very variable even under the present good working
conditions but I think it shows just how well it is performing at the
moment.

It was great to hear the old bird being well used last night - long may
she continue. Let's hope we don't wear her out ;>)

John  M1BTR,  Lincolnshire, England
--
  m1btr@midmarsh.demon.co.uk
  QRV 6m 2m 70cm 23cm  Member: AMSAT-UK BATC RIG RSGB UK6mG