RE: M2 Fiberglass Boom preparation

At 08:33 AM 11/11/2001 -0800, LJ wrote:
>David....the covering that this type boom has is called Gel coat....a
>resin based, usually colored, covering that is applied to the mold first
>to make it the resultant product somewhat shiny, resistant to UV and other
>degrading substances that might come in contact with the fiberglass
>itself.  However it too degrades over time and like other resin based
>products, should be covered either with paint or whatever to stop the
>deterioration over time....
>
>73's.....Lonnie  (NT6B)
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi All

Gel Coat is nothing other than the fiberglass resin that has color in it.
It is the Fiberglass resin that de grades in time and what you have is the
fiberglass. When my tower came down in a hurricane a few years ago, my
cross boom was about shot from being in the Florida sun. I guess you can
say that it depends on what your weather is like as to how long it will last.

The bottom line is that it can only help.

73, Bill N4XEO

E- Mail mailto: n4xeo@amsat.org
home page: http://www.qsl.net/n4xeo
F.A.D.C.A.: http://www.fcrosby.com/fadca