Re: M2 Fiberglass Boom preparation

>In a message dated 11/10/01 10:44:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>dave@bedfordweb.com writes:
>
>> I wouldn't recommend painting it.  Mine has held up well in the sun.
>>
>>  Dave
>>
>>  At 02:32 PM 11/11/2001 +1100, Norm and Cathy Beasley wrote:
>>
>>  >Dear Fellow Satellite Enthusiasts,
>>  >
>>  >I am in the process of setting up a satellite station, based around
the M2
>>  >VHF(22 elements)/UHF (42 elements) line of antennas. I am using the M2
>>  >Fiberglass boom and will turn the antennas with a Yaesu 5500 az/el rotor.
>>  >
>>  >My question pertains to the fiberglass boom. Do I need to paint it, or in
>>  >some other way treat it?
>
>What makes you come to this conclusion?  I have digested nearly 3 years of
>messages from this -BB, and every thread on this subject so far has
>recommended either taping, painting, sealing or wrapping these booms to
>prevent UV/IR degradation.  Am I missing something, or is a raw fiberglass
>boom more resistant to
>solar rays than other materials?   Anyone have any data from an untreated
>boom?  In the marine industry, fiberglass ALWAYS gets treated or sealed,
else
>water intrusion ruins it.

Ray is correct.  We use fiberglass VHF whip antennas in Marine use here and
in a few years the fiberglass gets weathered showing a hairy appearance.
That can be a painfull experience if you slide your bare hand over the
surface!  I think as long as the paint is non-metallic and doesn't not have
resins that will disolve the glass, then that would be OK.  We don't bother
painting the antennas as we do not expect longer than five years life out
of either cable or antennas in our environment.  Cable that has been used
on a boat is discarded and never recycled to use elsewhere.  I've been bit
by that mistake too often :-)

Ed
Chief Comm Tech for Cook Inlet (oil) Spill Prevention & Response, Inc.
Nikiski, AK