Re: M2 Fiberglass Boom preparation

In a message dated 11/10/01 10:44:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dave@bedfordweb.com writes:

> I wouldn't recommend painting it.  Mine has held up well in the sun.
>
>  Dave
>
>  At 02:32 PM 11/11/2001 +1100, Norm and Cathy Beasley wrote:
>
>  >Dear Fellow Satellite Enthusiasts,
>  >
>  >I am in the process of setting up a satellite station, based around the M2
>  >VHF(22 elements)/UHF (42 elements) line of antennas. I am using the M2
>  >Fiberglass boom and will turn the antennas with a Yaesu 5500 az/el rotor.
>  >
>  >My question pertains to the fiberglass boom. Do I need to paint it, or in
>  >some other way treat it?

What makes you come to this conclusion?  I have digested nearly 3 years of
messages from this -BB, and every thread on this subject so far has
recommended either taping, painting, sealing or wrapping these booms to
prevent UV/IR degradation.  Am I missing something, or is a raw fiberglass
boom more resistant to
solar rays than other materials?   Anyone have any data from an untreated
boom?  In the marine industry, fiberglass ALWAYS gets treated or sealed, else
water intrusion ruins it.

Curious!

73's
Ray - WB3ABN