S-Band dish feed

I notice that the AIDC D/C uses a rectangular subreflector behind the
feed dipole..  But since it is a rectangle, aligned with the dipole, then
the sides of maximum dipole lobe has the "minimum" reflector ground plane
in that direction... hummh...

Would the more conventional circular sub reflector do any better?  Of
course the circular one is usually because it is behind a circular feed,
and this is linear...   But my real question is "would it hurt?".

For sturcutural purposes I need a circular piece of metal there instead of
the rectangle and just wonder if it would hurt...

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob