12DEC - Marconi Day - AO-40 and VK1

Calling:
Newfoundland, North America (USA, Canada, and Mexico)
east/central/west/Alaska/Hawaii, Pacific Ocean, Japan and east Asia.

Aim:
A contact between Newfoundland (St Johns?) and Canberra via AO-40 - - as
well as HF. After checking InstantTrack, I think that it should JUST be
possible, at around 0040-0115UTC on 12DEC01.

Background:
The University of Canberra is preparing to commemorate Marconi Day 2001
(12th December), the 100th anniversary of the contact across the Atlantic
Ocean between Poldhu (UK) http://www.poldhu.com and St Johns (Newfoundland)
http://www.city.st-johns.nf.ca .

I am one of the group of Amateurs in Canberra, the national Capital of
Australia (VK1), activating the station at the University of Canberra's
School of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering
http://beth.canberra.edu.au/EEAP in its Centre for Advanced
Telecommunications and Quantum Electronics Research
http://www.ise.canberra.edu.au/atrc/index.html , under the leadership of
Professor Paul J. Edwards and Gilbert Hughes VK1GH, President of the ACT
Division of the Wireless Institute of Australia http://www.vk1.wia.ampr.org.

We'll have use of the 4.5m dish at the University. It will have at least one
2400MHz downlink channel, into either or both of 2m and 70cm.

There will be one 70cm uplink channel.

We'll also have HF (100W to an omni (all-band inc. WARCs) and/or triband.

Is anyone available in Newfoundland at around 0040-0115UTC on 12DEC01?
How about elsewhere in the USA and north America and Asia between then and
about 0900Z.?(Check your AO-40 co-visibility with Canberra on 12 DEC,
please.)

We'll also be setting up scheds with the Society Of Newfoundland Radio
Amateurs http://sonra.ca .

Peter Ellis
VK1KEP
prellis@pcug.org.au