Right Hand Left Hand CP

This problem has a long, long history. I personally first dealt with it
while an intern at RCA Laboratories in 1954.

Refer to "The Radio Amateur's Satellite Handbook" by Martin Davidoff, 1998
edition, page 9-6, Circular Polarization Sense. (Similar material is in all
editions but will be on a different page, use the index.)

Martin states that physicists (usually thinking about optics I suppose) and
electrical engineers (IEEE Standard) define RH and LH polarization sense in
opposite ways.

Not to bore you with too many references but Kraus, Antennas, First
Edition, 1950, page 471 talks about this confusing situation as well. The
basis of the problem is whether you are looking in the direction of
propagation or in the opposite direction. Clockwise circular polarization
wave approaching is the same as counter clockwise circular polarization
wave receding.

I have a 'clarification addendum' sent out by KLM (we are talking 15 years
ago) which says: " Since AMSAT has choosen (sp) to use the IEEE version of
right-hand left-hand definition, the instructions for generating right-hand
circularity in your 420-450-1BC KLM manual will in fact produce left-hand
circular."

Since Mike Stahl, I believe, designed the KLM antennas (he was the M) and
subsequently designed the M2 antennas (Mike and his son), you would think
that by now they would realize that they are selling to electrical
engineers and would get the manual corrected.
I cannot verify that the M2 manual is incorrect but it appears to be so
from the recent postings. So beware. To uplink to AO-40 you want RHCP-IEEE
definition and if you have an antenna with a polarization switch you will
most likely want it to generate RHCP with the relay de-energized.

ron long w8gus@amsat.org