Re: Re: AO40Rcv and soundboards?

mwheatle@trsystems.com wrote:

>Soundcards were not designed for communications applications but for
>playing
>music and video game sounds.  The 16 bit A/D's are probably ok but the poor
>audio amplifiers, mixers, and PCB layout in front of it vary all over the
>map.

If you check the specs quoted by the folks who make them,
sound card audio is pretty good, and often excellent.
Sufficiently good that the radio is the limiting factor,
not the sound card.

While old sound cards were indeed designed for game
noises and such, modern ones were designed for things
like streaming audio. They're good.

FWIW: My favourite is the SoundBlaster PCI128 - cheap,
quality audio, and a PCI interface that requires very
little CPU time to babysit. Good Linux support for
the ES1371/ES1373 chip sets.

Mine is hooked up to a good but somewhat antiquated
stereo amplifier ($10 from a thrift store :-) and decent
bookshelf speakers. It does justice to things like BBC
Radio 3 (my favourite Internet radio). If the audio was
bad I'd hear it...

Grid: CN89lg                    pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W        - Hospital/Shafte