Re: Tips for those brave souls going to Windows XP

Alan,

I'm interested to know whether you upgraded on top of your original OS or
did you do a clean install?

I did a clean install (i.e. fdisk, format, install).  So far, I haven't seen
*any* issues with NOVA.  The only dialog boxes I've seen greyed out are
those that were already greyed out like the rotor interface using FODTrack.
BTW, I've only messed with it to see if it works and, so far, FODtrack
*appears* to work using the *NOVA* drivers, but does *not* work with the DOS
program.  I will tell you that I have not tried the FODtrack DOS interface
using compatibility mode with XP.  Also, I just noticed a "tilde" character
after the duration time of AO-40 for the next pass.  That could have been
there before and don't know how XP could have put that there.  I suspect it
was there before...

I have not yet installed WiSP, so I cannot comment there...

I'm glad WiSPDDE works as I use it to track the FM birds...

In my experience (I'm sure there are others out there with loads more
experience than I), I've discovered that it is best to install any upgrade
OS's as clean installs.  Yes, XP asked for my qualifying product which
is/was 98SE.  All I had to do was place it in a CD drive and all was well.
I've discovered that an OS *upgrade* appears to *compete* with left over
files.  This may not be an accurate term, but it's the best I could come up
with to describe my observations.

My next upgrade is a new video card.  I'm using an old Banshee chipset card
and I am going to get either the GeForce2 MX400 or a Kyro II chipset.  It
all depends on which is less expensive at the time of my purchase...

73,

Joel B. Black
jbblack1@earthlink.net
k2sat@amsat.org